Wednesday, December 22, 2010

End of "The War"

This information is taken from a talk by our Regent for Life, Mrs. John Napier. I found it very interesting and I hope you do too. And when I say "The War" I trust everyone knows which war I mean!!!

In the first years of the War the Union fared badly but its advantages in manpower and industry gradually prevailed. Robert E. Lee, a Virginian, was the outstanding Confederate general. The North had a series of commanding generals until Ulysses S. Grant was appointed. Following his appointment Union victories at Gettysburg and Vicksburg in July 1863 gradually turned the tide in favor of the North.

The climax came with Grant's campaign, begun in May 1864 aimed at Richmond. Several fierce battles and a long stalemate left the Confederate Army starving and hopelessly cornered. Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia on April 9, 1865. The appalling four-year struggle was finally over.

Next time I will write about Lincoln's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment