Friday, September 24, 2010

Interesting Tidbits That May Be True About The War Between The States

I don't know if this is true or not but it has been said that General Robert E. Lee traveled with a pet hen and it laid one egg under his cot every morning.

Another tidbit - So many men as we know died during the War on both sides: one example I have heard was
that approximately 2000 men served in the 26th NC Regiment during the course of the War. With Lee's surrender at Appomattox Courthouse there were 131 men left.

Another thing I read (I won't call these facts because I have not checked to see if they are true) is that at one time or another the Northern armies numbered 2,100,00 soldiers. The Southern armies were considerably smaller. But the total dead on both sides was about 500,000.

It is said that the chance of surviving a wound in the Civil War was 7 to 1. In the Korean War, 50 to 1.

About 15% of the wounded died in the Civil War and about 8 % in WWI; about 4% in WWII and about 2% in the Korean War. Again I don't know that this is a fact but it is an interesting statistic if it is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment