Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dixie as in "I wish I was in Dixie"

I ran across a book on Amazon.com called A Little Death in Dixie and that reminded me to look at the origin of the word "Dixie". According to ""Ripley's Believe it or Not" the word Dixie in the beginning had nothing to do with the south. "Dixieland" was originally a farm in Long Island NY owned by a man named John Dixie. Sounds sacriligious to most of us, doesn't it?

It wasn't until the songwriters came along that "Dixie" was transplanted to the south. At least that's what is says on Wikipedia. If you think or know differently please let me know!!! I do know this: one time our son was in California at a meeting and the chairperson asked if he would lead the National Anthem. Jim rose and said "Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton"...well, you can take a boy out of the South but you can't take the South out of the boy!

By the way, if you want to order any of the books we mention in our blog from Amazon.com all you have to do is click on the link. So easy!!! And it benefits the First White House. Did you know that?

No comments:

Post a Comment